lunedì 25 giugno 2012

Work Experience at Hospital



                         
For the first time in my life, today, i was able to touch an organ which had undertaken visible changes in its structure. It was an uterus.

It was my first day of work experience in hospital, in a reality of the South of Italy, which is everything but pleasant, due to the low healthcare condition. The department where I had applied is Pathological Anatomy. The reason why I chose to begin with this department is because, though i had not seen a human body before, i wanted to start where all end. Where analysis and diagnosis are made.

I was able to see doctors analysing tissues belong to people who were still alive thanks to the prompt surgery. I saw an uterus of 16 kg...it was really impressing!!!! However, other organs belonged to dead people which are useful source for research.

I really liked the fact that in this department the help done by machines is quite limited, whereas in many other medical departments machines became fundamental, it seems moderns doctors depend on them.

Patients coming to this department had on their faces "hope", and what shocked me was that i asked a question to one of the analysts and it was: "do you have a favourite case?" he gave a positive answer. Therefore i asked: "could you take me through it, please?", and he said i do not remember it.
To another i asked why he chose medicine and he said because it was fashionable in my years.

I also heard them saying that dead people are the best to treat because they do not annoy you.

I made my reflections....... I am still thinking. Yes, each of us is different, each of us has a different story. Many people won't have the same level of culture, but doctors are there not to judge them but to heal them, give the correct amount of information they need. They are scared and need to be insured that someone is taking all the responsibilities to do the best he/she can to save a life.

I, also, was able to look at slides under microscopes. That was fascinating!!!
The intestines are amazing under microscope as well as the trachea... Medicine is a fascinating world.

I realised this work experience is making my will to undertake medical studies even stronger.





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento