lunedì 27 febbraio 2012

The Ben Carson Story

I always been in interested in neuroscience, therefore the majority of my reading tend to be orientated to the mistery of neurology....

Recently I came across the autobiography of a neurosurgeon, Ben Carson, who is remarkably identify as "The Gifted Hand", in so far he has given children a second chance of life.
Although his family background would not have allowed him to have such a  profitable future, his mother encouraged him to put all his energy into studies fully understanding his talents and therefore utilising them as God would have wanted him to do.

Following many sacrifices and difficulties he has grown stronger, as he was able to understand his weaknesses and improve himself through God help.

Dr. Carson majored in psychology at Yale and graduated from the University of Michigan School of Medicine. He completed both internship and residency in neurological surgery at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. He also worked in Western Australia.
Nowadays he is the Director of Paediatric Neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins, and he is internationally renowned physician.

When I bought his book I didn't know how useful it would have been for my life. I understood that many times we don't achieve our goals for two reasons: either we do not believe in ourselves or we are victims of laziness.
I would like to cite some passage of his book which has given me strength and made me understand that life is amazing because it is a challenge. It is up to us to understand when we have to give up something or focus more energy on achieving a goals. These are:

  1. "If anyone can do it, you can do it better", by Sonya Carson;
  2. "God won't put you into a situation if he cannot take you out of it", Ben Carson;
  3. After the death of a little girl named Jennifer, he said: "Despite my grief over Jennifer and the days it took for me to throw it off, I do not believe in remaining emotionally detached from patients. I work with and operate on human beings, all creatures of God, people in pain who need help. I do not know how I can work on a girl's brain- how I can her her life in my hands- and yet not become involved. I feel particularly strong attachments to children who seem so defenceless and who have not had the chance to live a full life." 
  4. "Think Big", which stands for: 
  • T= Talent and Time;
  • H= Hope and Honesty (and I would add Honesty and Conscience are the keys for a good             prospective of life);
  • I= Insight;
  • N= Nice;
  • K= Knowledge;
  • B= Books;
  • I= In- Depth Learning;
  • G= God
The point that made me think the most what the third one. I have always been wandering how surgeon can operate on humans and yet when something goes wrong, go home and live their life as anything had happened. I was scared that I might not have this attitude. However, after reading his citation, I understood that there are no patterns to be followed in the life of a surgeon. But the only thing which would make surgeons go ahead is that fact that we had done everything they could to save a life, and that a new life is waiting to be saved, therefore no negative feelings are allowed. I believe that working in honesty and conscience is the key of life, in anything I do I tend to apply the rules of "Think Big"...

To conclude, everything in life happens for a definite reason and each step toward our future is defined by our will to succeed. Personally, I learned that determination can die soon if we do not have goals and challenges to achieve, therefore I am ready to undertake a long course of medicine, aware of difficulties....but actually what is easy in life?


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento